Mathematics Warm Ups:
1. Which Greek mathematician calculated the value of pi between 3 1/2 and 3 10/71?
2. Which English mathematician who became the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics invented calculus?
Answer: Sir Isaac Newton
3. Which French mathematician is famous for his phrase, "I think, therefore I am?"
Answer: Rene Descartes
4. Which English mathematician of the nineteenth century is known for his invention of a machine which could not only perform the ordinary processes of arithmetic, but could tabulate the values of any function and print the results? (Hint: A computer software store was named after him.)
Answer: Charles Babbage
5. This Italian mathematician lived during the Middle Ages and popularized the modern decimal system of numerals. His name describes a sequence where each number is equal to the sum of the previous two numbers.
Answer: Leonardo Fibonacci