Mathematics Warm Ups:
1. What nationality was Pythagoras?
2. What is the Pythagorean Theorem?
In a right triangle if a and b are the measures of the legs and c is the measure of the hypotenuse, then c2 = a2 + b2.
3. In a right triangle if one leg is 3 and the other is 4, what is the value of the hypotenuse?
32 + 42 = c2
9 + 16 = c2
25 = c2
5 = c
4. In a right triangle, if one leg is 5 and the hypotenuse is 13, what is the value of the other leg?
52 + b2 = 132
25 + b2 = 169
b2 = 144
b = 12
5. Given the following values for the sides of a triangle, which is not a right triangle?
Triangle 1: a=6, b=8, c=10
Triangle 2: a=5, b=6, c=Square Root of 61
Triangle 3: a=11, b=15, c=61
Answer: Triangle 3