1. Name the Austrian Monk that laid the foundation for the study of modern genetics.
Answer: Gregor Mendel
2. What is the difference between homozygous and heterozygous?
Answer: Homozygous - occurs when the two genes for a trait are the same.
Heterozygous - occurs when the two genes for a trait are different, also known as a hybrid.
3. What is the difference between dominant and recessive genes?
Answer: Dominant - genes that prevent the expression of another gene.
Recessive - genes that are suppressed.
4. What is the difference between genotype and phenotype?
Answer: Genotype is the genetic makeup of the organism.
Phenotype is the outward appearance of the organism.
5. In a particular flower, red is dominant over white. If a heterozygous plant is crossed with another heterozygous plant, what will be the genotypic and phenotypic ratios? You may use a Punnett square to find your answer.
Answer: genotypic ratio = 1/4 RR, 1/2 Rr, 1/4 rr
phenotypic ratio = 3/4 Red, 1/4 White