Week Twelve Science Warm Ups
1. What do we call the changes in hereditary material?
2. What are the two basic types of mutations?
Answer: chromosomal alteration and gene mutation
3. What is the common name for the condition trisomy 21 which occurs because a person has an extra chromosome?
Answer: Down Syndrome
4. What do we call the process of crossing animals or plants with desirable characteristics to produce offspring with the same desirable characteristics?
Answer: selective breeding
5. The process of forming genetically identical offspring from a single cell is in the news a great deal. What do we call this process. Also, explain if you think it is a good thing.
Answer: cloning; answers will vary