1. Name the five phases of mitosis.
Answer: prophase, metaphase, anaphase, telophase, interphase
2. What do we call the division of the cytoplasm?
3. In what type of cell division does the chromosome number reduce by one half and gametes form?
4. Name the male and female gametes and the process that creates each of them.
Answer: female gametes - ova or eggs - oogenesis
male gametes - sperm - spermatogenesis
5. Explain the differences between mitosis and meiosis in relation to the daughter cells.
Answer: mitosis - two daughter cells that are identical to each other and the parent cell
meiosis - four daughter cells that contain a varying combination of chromosomes and that are not identical to the parent cells