Following are some ideas for classroom rules that teachers can use as they create their own. Ideally you should keep your rules down to a manageable limit of between 3-8.
- Come to class on time. Standing outside the door and rushing in after the bell has begun to ring will constitute a tardy. You must be INSIDE the door when it begins ringing to be counted on time.
Additional Resources: Creating an Effective Tardy Policy
- Begin the warm up activity within one minute after the tardy bell. Directions will be on the projection screen or the board. Please do not wait for me to remind you to begin since I need to take roll and attend to other duties for the first few minutes of the period. When I begin class, directions for the warm up may be taken down, so don't delay.
Additional Resources: Using Daily Warm Ups
- Attend to personal needs before coming to class. I have been instructed not to give passes to lockers and to limit passes, so please do not ask for a pass unless you have a true emergency.
Additional Resources: Creating a Restroom Pass System
- Remain in your assigned seat unless you have permission to get up . Throw scraps away at the end of the period on your way out.
Additional Resources: Classroom Seating Charts
- Do not eat candy or other food in class unless you have been given special permission. School sponsored sales will be permitted during the last 5 minutes of class IF we are finished with the lesson and permission is granted. Be sure to ask first.
- Bring required materials every day unless you are otherwise directed.
Additional Resources: More on Students and Classroom Materials
- Talk only when permitted.Be aware of the situation since quiet talking is allowed in some situations and speaking to the entire group without raising your hand may be allowed in others. I will remind you once and expect compliance.
- Use polite speech and body language. Unkind teasing and impolite behavior is unacceptable.
- Do not cheat. Students caught cheating will receive a zero and a phone call home. Both the student who shares his work for an independent assignment AND the person who copies it will suffer the same consequences. I expect you to do your own work and to be sure no one can copy it.
Additional Resources: How Students Cheat and How to Stop Them
- Follow the teacher's directions immediately. Keep me happy and I'll do a better job for you!