This system will cause a lot of headaches to go away. You will find that student requests to use the restroom will definitely decrease.
Time Required: 30 minutes
- Purchase a small plastic index card holder.
- At the beginning of the school year/semester, give each student a 3X5 index card.
- On the lined side, have the students write any information you wish to keep on record about them. For example, address, phone number, schedule.
- On the unlined side, have the students divide the card into four equal areas.
- In the upper right corner of each area, have the students write the numbers 1,2,3, and 4 which stands for each quarter of the year.
- In each area of the pass, have the students label a row across the top with a D (Date), T (Time), and I (Initial).
- Decide how many passes you are going to give the students each quarter. Three seems like a good number.
- Along the left side of each area, have the students number for each bathroom pass you are allowing per quarter. For example, 1,2,3.
- Place the cards by period with dividers into the plastic card holder and show the students where you are going to keep it.
- Explain your rules about appropriate and inappropriate times to use the restroom.
- Tell students that each time they wish to use the restroom, they are to get their card, fill it out except for the initial.
- Explain that if a student loses their card then they will not be able to use the restroom for the rest of the quarter.
- These passes include trips to the locker, other classes, etc.
- If you wish, you could offer extra points to those who use no passes during a quarter.