April 28, 1937 al-Awja near Tikrit, Iraq
- His father dies while mother was pregnant with him.
- His older brother also dies during this same pregnancy.
- His mother tries to commit suicide before he was born.
- He is given to an uncle to raise until about the age of three.
- He goes back to his mother and step-father at about the age of three.
- He is mistreated by his parents and flees back to his Uncle who lives in Bagdad in 1945.
- In 1957, he joins the Baath Party.
- In 1958, the monarchy is overthrown.
- He studies law at the Cairo Law School in 1962.
In 1971, Hussein receives his Law Degree from the University of Bagdad.
- Assassinates a communist leader for the Baath Party in 1958 and spends six months in jail.
- In 1959, he attempts to assassinate the head of the Iraqi government. He is wounded and flees to Syria and then Egypt.
- The Baath Party overthrows the government in 1963 and Saddam returns to Bagdad.
- Saddam is arrested when the Baath Party loses control in in November 1963.
- He is arrested on October 14, 1964 and placed in prison. Although, he is given a position in the Baath Leadership.
- Hussein escapes from prison in 1967.
- The Baath Party seizes power again in 1968 with the organizational help of Saddam Hussein.
- From 1968-1977, Hussein rises through the ranks of the Baath Party. He begins as a central figure but gathers more power during this time.
- In 1977, he assumes control of the government with the present Baath Party leader Bakr's health ailing.
- On July 16, 1979 Bakr formally steps down and Hussein begins to take formal control.
- The next few weeks are a period of purging and consolidation on Hussein's part.
- In 1980, Shi'ites of Iranian origin are deported to Iran by the thousands.
- Hussein involves his country in the Iran-Iraq War from 1980-1988.
- To quell the Kurds he uses weapons of mass destruction during this time.
- In 1990, he invades the country of Kuwait.
- In 1991, the Persian Gulf War occurs with the Iraqi's forced to flee Kuwait in a six week campaign.
- From the Persina Gulf War's end to 2002, Saddam Hussein continues to violate the agreements of the wars end.
- In 2003, the United States launches another offensive specifically aimed at regime change.
- The Dictator of Iraq for over a quarter century.
- He is responsible for the death of thousands of his own people and countless others by his actions.