Rubrics are a quick and powerful way to grade everything from projects to papers. This how to provides step-by-step instructions to help you create effective rubrics.
Time Required: 20 minutes
- Make a list of what you want the students to accomplish through your assignment.
- Organize your list from most important to least important.
- Decide on an overall point value for the assignment.
- Assign each item on your ranked list a percentage value out of 100 percent.
- Multiply your total point value from step 3 by each item's assigned percentage to arrive at the point value for that item.
- On a fresh sheet of paper, write the name for each item on your list in order from most to least important. Make sure to leave room in between each category.
- Assign specific grading criteria for each main category from step six.
- Distribute or display the rubric to the students when you are explaining the assignment.
- Definitely know what your categories will be before you make your assignment.