Journal Topics Involving Speculation and Different Perspectives
These topics cause the writer to predict or see things from an unusual perspective. These may be highly creative, such as "describe the events of yesterday from the perspective of your hair."
- What one non-living item would you take from your house if it caught on fire?
- Which five of these things (make a list) would you take from your house if it caught fire?
- Pretend you met an alien and explain school to him/her/it.
- Set your clocks ahead twenty years. Where are you and what are you be doing?
- What would you do with a million dollars? List five things you would buy.
- You've landed on another planet. Tell the inhabitants all about earth.
- You've gone back in time and met a tribe of Indians. Explain plubing, electricity, cars, windows, air conditioning and other convenieces to them.
- What animal would you be? Why?
- If you were your teacher, how would you treat you?
- Describe a day in the life of ___________(choose an animal).
- Describe how you feel at the dentist's office.
- The way I am like _______________ is _________________
- A perfect place for me is...
- What if your teacher fell asleep in class?
- I am my locker.
- I am my shoe.
- If I could live anywhere...
- If I were invisible I would...
- Describe your life fifteen years from now.
- How would do you think your parents views would change if they walked in your shoes for a week?
- Describe your desk in complete detail. Focus on all sides and angles.
- List twenty-five uses for a toothbrush.
- Describe a toaster from the inside.
- Assume you are the last person on earth and have been granted one wish. What would it be?
- Imagine a world that contained no written language. What would be different?
- If you could step back in time to re-live one day, what would you do differently?
- You discover you have only six weeks to live. What would you do and why?
- Imagine you are 25 years old. How will you describe yourself as you are today?
- Describe how you would feel if you were YOUR parent. What would you do differently?
- Describe how you would feel if you were YOUR teacher. What would you do differently?
Written by Diane Walker
Updated by Melissa Kelly