Journal writing is an excellent way for teachers to check for understanding in the middle of a unit. The following journal topics are designed to be used in the middle of a unit or multi-day lesson. They can be used across the curriculum.
- Write a question you have about anything we have discussed so far.
- Write a sentence telling how knowing about ________(new topic) might be useful to you personally.
- What is interfering with your learning right now?
- How do you feel about this issue now?
- How would you feel about this issue if you were _________(someone likely to have a different perspective)?
- What are you thinking about right now?
- How to you feel when you hear someone one say______________(a controversial statement about the topic of study)?
- How do you think your best friend (or boyfriend or girlfriend) feels about ___________(controversial topic)?