These expository essay topics are written in the format used for the Florida Writes Assessment. Please note that only one prompt is listed under each academic area. Numbering here is intended to facilitate discussion of prompt steps but does not appear on the assessment test.
Chorus and Band Essay Topic
- Many people listen to music on as they travel, work and play.
- Think about the ways music affects you.
- Now explain how music affects your life.
Geography Essay Topic
- Many families move from one place to another.
- Think about the effects moving has upon teenagers.
- Now explain the effects moving from place to place has on teenagers.
Health Essay Topic
- For some people, TV and junk foods seem as addictive as drugs and alcohol for they feel at loss without them.
- Think about the things you and your friends do almost every day.
- Now describe some of the things teenagers seem to need on a daily basis.
Leadership Essay Topic
- Every country has heroes and heroines. They may be political, religious or military leaders, but they serve as moral leaders by whose examples we can follow in our quest to live lives of excellence.
- Think about someone you know who shows moral leadership.
- Now explain why this person should be regarded a moral leader.
Languages Essay Topic
- When studying a foreign language, students often become aware of differences in the ways people in various countries think about values, manners and relationships.
- Think about some of the differences in ways people in __________ think and behave differently than here in ___________.
- Now describe some of the differences in the ways people think and behave in ___________ compared to the ways they think and behave in ____________.
Math Essay Topic
- A friend has asked your advice about which math course would be most helpful in everyday life.
- Think about the times you have actually used mathematics you have learned in school in your daily life and decide which course had the most practical value.
- Now explain to your friend how a particular math course will be of practical assistance to him.
Science Essay Topic
- Your friend in Arizona just emailed you asking if he can visit you in South Florida to try out his new surfboard. You don't want to hurt his feelings when you tell him that South Florida does not have big waves, so you decide to explain the reason.
- Think about what you have learned about wave action.
- Now explain why South Florida does not have high waves.
- People communicate with a variety of signals such as facial expressions, voice inflection, body postures in addition to the words. Sometimes the messages being sent seem contradictory.
- Think about a time when someone seemed to be sending a contradictory message.
- Now explain how people can send conflicting messages.