How Educreations Works:
When you first open Educreations on the iPad, you will see a blue button at the top left which says "New Lesson." When you click on this, you will see a blank screen where you can begin drawing anything you like with your finger, changing the color with the color icons at the top. You can change the background to lined or graph paper by clicking the icons on the bottom left. You can also Type by clicking the Text icon or add a picture by clicking the picture icon. When you want to add audio, simply click on the record button on the top right. If you wish to add multiple pictures like slides, then you can click the arrow at the bottom right to move to the next page.
Once you have finished editing your video, click Done. You will save the lesson, select a title, and write an optional description. Finally you will be able to choose who you wish to share the video with: Private, Public, My Students, and My School. If you choose private, you can email your lesson to someone and view it yourself. If you choose public, others can view your lesson on the Educreations website, and you can embed it on your own website. If you sign up with a teacher account on the Educreations website, you will then be able to create a course which allows you to public specifically to your own students or your school. Students will then need to create accounts to access your lesson.
The only real drawback to the app found during this review was that there is currently no way to edit videos that you have saved. Further, you cannot review your recording until you have made. If you save your information as private, you cannot change it to public from the app. Therefore, if you plan to make your work public, make sure that the work is of a good quality before you save it. If worse comes to worse, you can always delete it and start again. The company plans to make editing available in a future update.
How Teachers Can Use Educreations:
Following are some examples from the Educreations website showing how teachers throughout the curriculum have used the app:
- The Pythagorean Theorem: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/the-pythagorean-theorem/3174379/
- Fractions on a Number Line and Chart: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/mode/729675/
- Electronegativity and Bond Polarity: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/electronegativity-and-bond-polarity/564334/
- Karyotype - Intro to Genetics: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/karyotype-intro-to-genetics/733348/
- Of Mice and Men - First Three Chapters Sequence of Events: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/of-mice-and-men/360800/
- Four Types of Conflict - Analyzing Plot: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/four-types-of-confict-analyzing-plot/182367/
- The California Gold Rush: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/the-california-gold-rush/5966879/
- The Missouri Compromise: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/missouri-compromise/590578/
- Spanish - Reflexive Verbs: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/reflexive-verbs/3315370/
- French - Ar Verb Conjugation: http://www.educreations.com/lesson/view/ar-verb-conjugation-part-1/334198/