- Safe Toy and Gift Month
- Universal Human Rights Month
- Write to a Friend Month
Writing Prompt Ideas for December
- December 1 - Theme: Rosa Park's Day
Do you think that racism still exists? Give specific reasons for your answer.
- December 2 - Theme: Safe Toy and Gift Month
There are many toys and items that were once commonly given to children that are no longer allowed to be sold. Do you think that this is a good thing? Why or why not?
- December 3 - Theme: International Day of the Disabled Person
Why do you think that some people bully disabled persons? What can you do to help put a stop to this type of bullying?
- December 4 - Theme: Santa's List Day
Do you think that you will be on Santa's nice list this year? Why or why not?
- December 5 - Theme: Walt Disney's Birthday
What's your favorite Walt Disney movie? Why?
- December 6 - Theme: St. Nicholas Day
In some cultures around the world, children leave shoes out for candy on December 5th to commemorate St. Nicholas Day. Does your family have any special traditions like this that you follow? Explain what these traditions are. If not, describe one tradition that you would like to institute.
- December 7 - Theme: Pearl Harbor Day
Why does America commemorate Pearl Harbor Day? Do you think it is a significant date in American History? Why or why not?
- December 8 - Theme: Chanukah - Gifts for Holidays
Between Chanukah and Christmas, December is the month for giving and receiving gifts. Describe the best gift that you have ever received. Note: It doesn't have to have been given in the month of December.
- December 9 - Theme: Christmas Card Day
What is your opinion of Christmas cards and/or greeting cards in general? Are you someone who likes them or thinks that they are a waste of money? Explain your answer.
- December 10 - Theme: Human Rights Day
Why do you think that it is important for the world to have a day set aside as "Human Rights Day?" Explain your answer.
- December 11 - Theme: Write to a Friend Month
Write the first paragraph of a letter that you might send to a friend that you haven't seen for a long time.
- December 12 - Theme: Bush v. Gore
On this date in 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court stopped the recount in Florida and George W. Bush was named the president over his opponent Al Gore. Even though there is a separation of powers in the US, this illustrates the way that one branch can influence another. What is your opinion of the powers that the Supreme Court has. Do you think they are too great or not strong enough? Explain your answer.
- December 13 - Theme: National Cocoa Day
If you were given a choice of a hot beverage, which of the following would you choose: coffee, tea, or cocoa? Why?
- December 14 - Theme: First Miniature Golf Course Opened
Have you ever played miniature golf? What is your opinion of it?
- December 15 - Theme: Bill of Rights Day
Do you think that freedom of speech should be absolute or restricted in certain circumstances? Explain your answer.
- December 16 - Theme: Boston Tea Party
Are you the type of person who would have participated in the Boston Tea Party, throwing tons of tea overboard into the water to protest British laws and taxes?
- December 17 - Theme: Underdog Day
Do you tend to root for the reigning champion or the underdog? Explain your answer.
- December 18 - Theme: Wear a Plunger on Your Head Day
Describe the silliest thing you have ever worn (or been forced to wear).
- December 19 - Theme: Peace and Goodwill
What is nicest thing that anyone has ever done for you? Write a 'thank you note' to that person for their actions.
- December 21 - Theme: Winter
Write a poem or a short piece of prose about winter. Make sure to include the five senses in your writing.
- December 22 - Theme: Christmas Lights
What is your favorite part of the holiday season? Explain your answer.
- December 23 - Theme: Holiday Decorations
Does your family decorate for Christmas, Chanukah, or Kwanzaa? If so, describe the decorations. If not, why not.
- December 24 - Theme: National Egg Nog Day
What's your favorite food to eat during the winter holidays? Describe it in detail.
- December 25 - Theme: Christmas
What is your opinion of local governments putting up Christmas decorations in their towns? Explain your answer.
- December 26 - Theme: Kwanzaa
Kwanzaa celebrates seven principles: unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. Pick one of these and write about its importance in your life.
- December 27 - Theme: Visit the Zoo Day
Pretend you were visiting a zoo. Which animal would you want to see first and why?
- December 28 - Theme: Card Playing Day
Do you like to play card games? If so, which do you like and why? If not, why not?
- December 29 - Theme: Bowling
Have you ever been bowling? Do you like the sport? Why or why not?
- December 30 - Theme: Looking Back
Write a paragraph detailing at least three good things that happened to you during this past year.
- December 31 - Theme: New Year's Eve
How do you commemorate New Year's Eve? Describe your celebrations in detail.