- Better Breakfast Month
- Classical Music Month
- National School Success Month
- Read-a-New-Book Month
Writing Prompt Ideas for September
- September 1 - Theme: Nursery Rhymes (Mary Had a Little Lamb Published)
What was your favorite nursery rhyme as a child? Why do you think you liked it so much?
- September 2 - Theme: Better Breakfast Month
What is your idea of a wonderful breakfast? Describe exactly what you'd serve.
- September 3 - Theme: Labor Day
How does your family celebrate Labor Day weekend?
- September 4 - Theme: Classical Music Month
Have you ever listened to classical music? What is your feeling about it? Why do you feel that way?
- September 5 - Theme: Pizza (National Cheese Pizza Day)
Describe your perfect pizza. Include details about the crust, sauce, and toppings.
- September 6 - Theme: Read a Book Day
Do you like to read? If so, what type of things do you like to read: books, magazines, websites, etc. If not, why don't you like to read?
- September 7 - Theme: Neither Rain Nor Snow Day
The unofficial creed of the United States Postal Service is embodied in this quote found on the James Farley Post office in New York City: "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." Describe the difficulties that you that mail carriers might face on any given day? Do you think this is a hard job? Would you want to be a mail carrier?
- September 8 - Theme: Anniversary of the Day Ford Pardoned Nixon
On September 8, 1974, President Gerald Ford pardoned Richard Nixon of any wrongdoing associated with Watergate. Why do you think Ford pardoned him? Do you think he should have? Why or why not?
- September 9 - Theme: Grandparent's Day
What are three qualities that you think make an excellent grandparent? Why do you think they need these qualities.
- September 10 - Theme: T.V. Dinner Day
Do you think that it is important for families to eat dinner together at least a few times a week? Why or why not?
- September 11 - Theme: World Trade Center Remembrance Day
Write a poem or piece of prose commemorating those who died on the 9/11 attacks.
- September 12 - Theme: National Day of Encouragement
Which person do you feel has inspired and encouraged you the most in your life? Explain your answer.
- September 13 - Theme: Scooby Doo's Birthday
If you were in a Scooby Doo episode, who would you like to be paired up with as you hunt for ghosts: Scooby and Shaggy, Fred, Velma, or Daphne? Why?
- September 14 - Theme: Pet Memorial Day
Describe your favorite pet, living or dead. If you have never had a pet, explain what type of pet you'd like to have and what you would name it.
- September 15 - Theme: National School Success Month
What do you think you can do to become more successful in your classes at school? Explain your answer.
- September 16 - Theme: Mayflower Day
Pretend you were on the Mayflower on that first voyage to settle in America. Describe your feelings upon leaving England and then up on seeing your new home.
- September 17 - Theme: Constitution Day
If you could only keep one of the following rights, which would it be: Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Assembly, Freedom of the Press. Explain your answer.
- September 18 - Theme: Childhood (National Play Doh Day)
Do you miss elementary school? Why or why not?
- September 19 - Theme: Talk Like a Pirate Day
Write a poem or a paragraph as if you were a pirate describing all the treasure you've plundered. Make sure to write like a pirate.
- September 20 - Theme: Chicken Dance Day
Today is Chicken Dance Day. Why do you think that many adults enjoy dances like the Chicken Dance and the Hokey Pokey? Do you enjoy them? Why or why not?
- September 21 - Theme: World Gratitude Day
Name five things that you are grateful for. Explain why you are grateful for each.
- September 22 - Theme: Dear Diary Day
Create a diary entry about a special day. This can be a real day in your own life or a fictional diary entry. Make sure to start with 'Dear Diary'.
- September 23 - Theme: Checkers Day
You've been asked to play either checkers or chess. Which would you pick and why?
- September 24 - Theme: National Punctuation Day
Which punctuation mark do you have the most problem using correctly? You can choose from the period, comma, colon, or semicolon.
- September 25 - Theme: National Comic Book Day
Do you read comic books? Why or why not?
- September 26 - Theme: Banned Books
Do you think that school libraries should ban certain books? Support your opinion.
- September 27 - Theme: Ancestor Appreciation Day
Write about your favorite ancestor. If you don't know of your ancestor, or don't have a favorite one, tell which favorite person you wish was your ancestor. Explain your reasons for picking this person.
- September 28 - Theme: Good Neighbor Day
In the poem "Mending Wall" by Robert Frost, the neighbor states 'Good fences make good neighbors'. Explain what you think that statement means.
- September 29 - Theme: Coffee Day
Are you a fan of coffee? If so, why do you like it? What way do you like to drink it? If not, why not?
- September 30 - Theme: Chewing Gum Day
Take a stand either for or against chewing gum. Write three arguments to support your opinion.