From the article: Top 10 Worst Things a Teacher Can Do
We all make mistakes when we are teaching. I know that there have been many instances when I've done something that I regretted upon further reflection. However, here I want you to share what you think is the worst thing that a teacher can do. Share Your Thoughts
picking on me
- So, I'm a high school senior, right. I know what you're thinking-- senioritis, right? Nope. Surprisingly, given my work ethic (which was, admittedly, lousy for most of high school), I have actually grown up a lot over the past year. I'm genuinely passionate about learning (I always have been, but I used to be really lazy). I've been pushing myself so hard these last few months, equipping myself with both knowledge and the skills to perform well next year at the school I still cannot believe I got into. I've also been dealing with a lot of loss over the last several months, with my grandma passing away in December (two days after my college acceptance) and my grand uncle (who was like another grandfather) this past Sunday. Yet, with all of this, two of my teachers today told me I need to work harder. Both of those teachers previously complimented me on my work ethic. I have A's in both classes. I am genuinely upset by their comments.
- —Guest Guest
Bullying because of dislike
- I have this teacher who doesn't like me at all. He is an IB history teacher. And one would think that teachers are so nice, but some aren't. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box, but I honestly do try. The family and friend problems that I have are enough to make me cry every night. When he was passing back papers, I was given a quiz that I did horrible on. The only thing my teacher said was, "don't put this on your refrigerator." And I just didn't say anything. Then he said, "because I know I wouldn't put a score like this there. Do you put these kinds of grades on your refrigerator?" He didn't even whisper, and everybody heard. I just wanted to cry and run outside of the classroom, but I only replied, "no I only have pictures on my refrigerator" why would he say that? I have never disrespected him, so why does he laugh at me?
- —Guest Student who is humiliated
- Well, they are these bracelets that everyone wears, Saying "I Heart Boobies" that are for breast cancer. I understand that this is inappropriate for school, but some teachers will call the student over to their desk and cut the bracelet. Why not just take it?! Those bracelets are pretty pricey, so I think those students should get paid back.
- —Guest Guest M.
Drill Sergeant Technique does NOT work
- So, my track coach who is also a teacher, is a complete jerk. (don't want to use strong language here) One morning practice, I had to go on an elementary school tour with my middle school ensembles. She comes into the orchestra room WHILE I am obviously getting ready. She asks me in her drill sergeant voice, Why didn't you come to practice today? I told her why, and she just rolled her eyes in FRONT of my orchestra teacher. The principals even tried to avoid letting my dad talk to her- because they know that she is a jerk to ALL the students -which he never got to do. My orchestra teacher asked if he could help, but I said no because I was afraid she would be angrier with me. The worst part is, now she act all nice to me now that I'm doing good in track.
- —Guest Guest Angry
Blaming me for No Apparent Reason
- I have one of the worst Social Studies teachers ever. He never tries to find out who did this or that, just blames the kids who he knows don't like him, or he just doesn't like. Someone yelled out just "Yeah!" When he was teaching and he sent my friend to the office. Another time, someone kept talking and he gave me lunch detention.
- —Guest Guest Confused
"That's not my problem" teacher
- There's this teacher, and I hate her so much.Here's why: Firstly, she would tell you, that if you don't understand, you should ask her, but when you do, she would tell you "you should know that because you have the example in the book & notes blah blah blah.Oh but she would explain, to her favorite students though, who were in her class the year before, as we got split. She would always speak nicely to them. Secondly, if you would tell her "Miss, I really don't understand, even with these examples, can you please explain this to me" she would brush you off saying "It's not my problem if you don't understand" or "Maybe you're in the wrong class". Thirdly and lastly, it's not just me, but others too.You see, some people from her class from last year are in her class now, but as we are split , we are from all different classes and it's mostly us from different classes that don't understand. Don't get me wrong.I love learning, but unfortunately, I'm starting to lose hope... ~Thanks
- —Guest A tired student
No work done!
- Once, I had a teacher that just talked about her cat all of English. Some kids asked her questions about said cat to pass time in class without doing any work. Then, when we have 5 minutes left in class, the teacher then blames US and goes on about how she will get fired for not teaching us. Honestly, you're the teacher. Nobody MADE you answer things.
- —Guest Raven
Respect your elders
- Okay like, HOW COME MY TEACHERS GET TO YELL AT ME BUT WHEN I DO IT TO THEM, I GET PUNISHED? Seriously I know it is to help me, but there IS SOME THINGS my teachers do that I should let them, know about. If my mom wasn't an obstacle affecting my bravery to talk a load of trash to my teacher's face, I would be all up in their faces. I have 6 essays of things that relate to my teachers! I am just waiting for someone to stand up to m teachers, just to see what would happen. Man I don't know why it is rude to talk back to my teachers. Yet they talk back to me. I DON'T KNOW WHY they get in my business even AFTER SCHOOL when I am less of a problem to them. All these unknown answers. Hundreds of pages of complaints, waiting to be answers. When will I be satisfied?
- —Guest Guest
English teachers and their assignments.
- My English III class (I'm in English right now) is supposed to look up if media is biased on some EBSCO website and it does not have anything I could possibly use on there, and she will not let us use google at all. And then were supposed to look up more stuff about the Boston Marathon Bombing yesterday but we can't use google. I mean they this website it's useless!! All it does is give you pointless articles that have nothing to do with the topic you searched.
- —Guest Small Town Girl
A lot of hot air
- I'm into my 7th week with this guy who openly admits to having favorites in the class. He's is such a hose bag, I can't stand much more of it. He is a straight guy and loves to make despairingly awful comments to the women in class, and me he just dislikes. I've tried to put aside his saying just what ever comes to his head and submit to the work that needs to be done. But everything I've done has been pissed on by him.. I'm an A student otherwise. Maybe its just me. But I'm about to seek help from the Chair of the Dept. It probably won't do any good She's looking to get out soon. I wish I had at least sat in on one of his classes. I think he's also a racist pig.
- —Guest below average art student
- My teacher is really horrible. She puts us on something just so that she can go on her stupid computer. She also makes us go on the computer for like 2-4 hours a day. She doesn't even help us if we have a question. She tells us that she isn't going to answer any questions only if its an emergency. What the heck!!! I'm pretty sure that she doesn't even care about us.
- —Guest Guest Annonymous
Teachers who enjoy failing students
- Had a teacher who would tell stories of his life everyday for class. When we take the test his stories had no relevance at all so I was glad I studied. After a few F's the others learned that he just sits and reads during quizzes and tests so they would text a domain and get all the answers to the test synchronized in their phones so they got better scores than me, I cheated off of the dumbasses to pass eventually...it's sad how crappy some teachers run their classes...he doesn't prepare us so he wouldn't care if we failed or cheated he wouldn't tell if a straight F guy sudden got an A++ on a test when he got his new SIM chip....what domain do you kids text to get all the answers?!... Agh this class should be failing because of this dumb oblivious teacher
- —Guest Kevin
Im in 6th
- ALL my teachers hate me, they use me as an example of an idiot. I actually try, and they say I don't pay attention. My science teacher is everyone's favorite but he hates me too. He says I never take notes, but I lost my first note book so I started over... the worst part was we are at a Catholic school. He used me as an example by staring at me and saying " get the lazy out of everyone's bones" while he stares at me. And he called me up while everyone was watching a movie he said to everyone "I'm going to give you a bad grade by not even looking at it. Because you didn't put your name on the notebook." It was a test grade, and I feel like an idiot. I'm thinking about turning away or doing something I love. Art. But my parents want me to stay at this stupid school I can't even progress in I feel cheated in life not able to do something I love..
- —Guest Godfrey
Telling test scores out loud.
- I remember in 4th grade, we had a Math Teacher named Julienne. She did lots of bad things, but I remember this one. We had our first big exam, and it was something silly, about how many eggs each unicorn made. After she gave them all back we proceeded to correcting them and trying to understand our mistakes. At the beginning, she said clearly she wasn't going to name anyone. Obviously, she did. The girl sitting next to me had gotten an E, and she was usually a really smart kid. But later on we learned that she had asked a question to the teacher about one of the first calculations and the teacher had lied to her. The teacher then started saying that "Oh look, the smart girl got an F." and she started to laugh. Alone. But then she got mad because nobody laughed. And the girl went home crying because her parents were very strict and she was in trouble.
- —Guest Desk
6th grade teacher
- In 6th grade my teacher would have the class do the same things every day. We would also have to go on the computer for about 2-3 hrs a day. She would usually give us like a workbook or test then go on her stupid computer. Everyone hated her. We were so glad to go to middle school the next year. She is also very sloppy and messy.
- —Guest Guest Annoymous
1-15 of 95Next